Dear Sisters and Brothers,
You may have already seen that our Bishop just released a memo to all of us. In it he tells us that because our Governor has extended the stay at home through May 28, out of a concern for the common good and deeming it painful but necessary, he has decided that we need to continue with no public Masses until at least June 1.
Here is part of the statement: “Because the State of Michigan’s stay-at-home order is now to remain in effect through the end of May and because we remain committed to supporting the common good, including the health of all our neighbors, our plans to celebrate public Masses starting on May 18 have been, sadly, delayed until, at the earliest, June 1. This is a painful decision but one, I believe, that is both prudent and necessary.”
I encourage you to go to our diocesan website and read the entire letter (which is quite short). www.dioceseoflansing.org
As I and our parishes are also just receiving the news, I wanted to communicate with you as soon as I could to let you know that we are working out the details on what this will mean for our parishes.
DAILY MASSES STARTING MAY 18
Today, I will say that the Bishop mentions we will be able to have daily Masses with limited people present (invitation only, so not public) starting May 18. We will be working this weekend to develop a plan for both parishes.
The Bishop in a letter to his priests, indicated this evening that he will now need to cancel all Confirmation Masses in the month of June. Ours was scheduled for June 3, so this means us. We will also be working this weekend on alternatives. There are three which we will be looking at. The first is that I and Fr. Anthony will confirm one or two confirmandi at our daily Masses, starting May 18, with their sponsors and a small number of family members. A second option is if those being confirmed wish to wait till next year, they are welcome to do that. The final option is that if it works for our Bishop’s schedule and our parishes schedules, and if there is enough interest, we would delay our group Confirmation until after September in the Fall sometime.
We already delayed our First Communion Masses until the first weekend of June. As things stand now, I will be working with our DREs, Hannah and Lisa, on what we think is best at this point. With the real possibility that our Governor will extend the stay-at-home into June, we will be looking at whether we should implement other alternatives now.
In regard to other upcoming activities. All activities that were to take place at our parishes during May will now be canceled or postponed. Fr. Anthony’s 3rd Annual Car Show now needs to be canceled for this year.
We will have more information and details on the coming weeks throughout next week.
Please stay involved in what is still going on at our parishes, and help us connect with you, by going to our websites, following us on our Facebook pages, getting our app, sharing your email with us so we can add you to our email updates, subscribing to our NEW YouTube channel…or all of the above!
The Good Shepherd is with us, leading us and His Church during this unprecedented, difficult, yet grace-filled days.
In the peace of Christ,
Fr. Jonathan Perrotta