Getting Involved in our Parish
Today won’t you prayerfully consider how you can share your personal gifts and talents with Good Shepherd Parish.
If you have questions or are interested in one of these important ministries please contact the parish office at 810-639-7600 for more information.
Minimum age is 3rd grade. Training will be provided by Father and usually takes about 1 hour. Once you are trained you will work with an experienced Altar Server for your first 3-4 weeks or until you are comfortable with performing your duties. You are scheduled to serve once a month.
The duties of a Sacristan include:
Carefully arrange the liturgical books and vessels, the vestments, and other things necessary in the celebration of Mass
- Arrive 45 minutes – 1 hour before Mass begins to set-up
- Remain approximately 30 minutes after Mass to clean up
- Unlock the church doors
- Turn on lights and microphones
- Prepare the Creedance table: hand towels, water, chalices, purificators, wine carafe
- Have books out that Father will need for the Mass
- Prepare Offertory table: wine, bread, ciborium
- Make sure there are Eucharistic Ministers, Altar Servers and Lectors available
- make sure that the sanctuary lamp has sufficient oil
- that the altar cloths are changed regularly
- holy water stoups are clean and replenished frequently
- Shut off lights and microphones
- Lock the church doors
Prefer teams of two. Training will be provided by Father.
The lector is instituted to proclaim the readings from Sacred Scripture, with the exception of the Gospel. They may also announce the intentions for the Prayers of the Faithful and, in the absence of a psalmist, proclaim the Psalm between the readings. The readings are mailed to you in advance so you can practice them. Father will provide the training.
Usher (Minister of Hospitality)
Extraordinary Minister of the Eucharist
Extraordinary Minister of the Eucharist for Nursing Home or Homebound
Do you like to sing? We invite you to join your voice with our Music Ministry members. Practice takes place 20-30 minutes before Mass.